In your Citavi account you can view, change, and delete the personal information you sent to us during a purchase or when requesting a site license. The information is saved in our customer database, which is run by Microsoft on servers located in Dublin and Amsterdam.
The legal basis for data usage is the End User License Agreement for Citavi that you agreed to when creating a Citavi Account and/or when installing Citavi.
A Citavi account is created under the following circumstances:
- When a site license is requested, in order to make the license key available
- When purchasing licenses in the Citavi Shop or from one of our partners, in order to make the license key available
- If you request a lost license key and don't yet have an account, in order to make the license key available.
- If the license administrator for your organization assigns you a license
- If you create the account yourself
You can create the account with different information depending on the circumstances:
- With an email address and password
- By signing in to a Facebook, Google, or Microsoft account
- By signing in to your university account if your university offers one and if we've enabled this authentication method for your university (Shibboleth authentication).
If you don't provide an email address during registration, we will request that you to add it. In addition, you have the option of adding additional data to your account, such as a profile image.
We use the data provided for the creation of the account and the data added by you later on for the following purposes:
- To make Citavi’s features available to you
- To be able to contact you in case of questions regarding your licenses or account
If you sign in to your Citavi account with a Facebook, Google, or Microsoft account, the service you're using will request that you allow Citavi access to certain information.
You can view, restrict, or remove app permissions on the following pages:
If you log in to Citavi Account using your university account (Shibboleth login), the following data (known in Shibboleth as “attributes”) will regularly be sent to us:
- Email address
- User group (i.e. if you are a student or if you are a faculty or staff member)
- A perpetual ID that is given to you for the use of Shibboleth
We confirm that we meet the requirements of the GÉANT Data Protection Code of Conduct, which can be downloaded here::
Data in Citavi Account are saved for as long as you continue to use Citavi Account. We determine whether or not you are still using Citavi Account based on if you have logged into Citavi Account at least once during the past year. If you have not, we will notify you by email that you need to log in to Citavi Account to show that you still wish to use Citavi. If you do not log into Citavi Account during the specified period, we will delete your Citavi account and all cloud projects you created with your Citavi Account.
For the creation and management of your accounts and your licenses, we may send you emails to confirm that the email address used for registration belongs to you or still belongs to you. Confirmation occurs when you click the confirmation link in the email. We use the SendGrid platform to send these emails. SendGrid is offered by the company SendGrid, Inc., 1801 California Street, Suite 500, Denver, CO 80202, USA.
The servers SendGrid uses to process data are located in the United States of America, so your email address will be transferred there. In an attempt to maintain a similar data security level as in Switzerland and the EU, we have signed a data processing agreement with SendGrid that contains the EU's standard contractual clauses. If you would like an electronic copy of the agreement, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.