Importing from Mendeley
Citavi can import references from Mendeley as long as the Mendeley library was exported in RIS format.
Export your Mendeley library in RIS format
- Open Mendeley Desktop.
- Press the F5 key to synchronize your local database with your online database.
- On the File menu click Export.
- Enter a name for the file. Select RIS - Research Information Systems (*.ris) as the file type.
- Click Save.
Import the RIS file in Citavi
- Switch to Citavi and open a project or create a new project.
- On the File menu, click Import.
- Select Text file and then click Next.
- Select RIS and then click Next.
- Select Import a text file and then click Browse. Select the file with the .ris file ending and click Open.
- Click Next.
- Check the character encoding and click Next.
- In the import window that appears, you can choose which references you want to import. To import all the references, click Add to project. To add specific references only, first select the corresponding checkboxes and then click Add to project.
- Select any appropriate import options.
- Click OK to complete the import.
Citavi copies the PDF files from the folder C:\Users\[Your name]\AppData\Local\Mendeley Ltd\Mendeley Desktop\Downloaded to the sub-folder Citavi Attachments in the project folder for the project you imported the RIS file into.